03 October 2010

Power

So do I get to do my first Kanye West blog now?
Or is this blog above feeding into his media circus?

Well since no one will read this blog ever I don't see the harm in it. Suffice it to say, I did enjoy his SNL performance last night. I'll go as far as to say I was impressed. And not so much in Kanye's performance itself. He still has that amateur flailing around on stage thing going on like he's a singing atop a foundation of various sized loose stones. See for yourself in this YouTube clip which will likely be removed soon:





Now of course any blue-blooded heterosexual male is gonna be entertained by the full 5 minutes of this. But, straight up, Kanye himself gets in the way of this gorgeous set up. These ladies, clearly classically trained (Yea, I've dated dancers which gives me a trained eye for these things), are more than just a set piece.  Reminiscent of the second circle of Dante's Inferno, these ladies evoke something more carnal than just a group or barely clad vixens on your Friday night dance floor. This writhing is painful yet pleasing. Intentional to an end. Sound familiar?
I was all about the video for 'Power' when that was released. And keep in mind, I'm not a Kanye fan in the least. I probably should have prefaced with that. Be that as it may, I give credit where credit is due. And that video, as well as the aforementioned SNL performance, is more so a result of having talented and brilliant people around him to execute these ideas. I like what he's doing in support of this album. Very surreal and very beautiful artistic visuals to go along with the music, which based on the bits I've heard of the new album, is actually pretty good. So much so that when it's all said and done, I may actively search out all the clips and performances on the web just to see what became of it. Still not enough to say, at this point, that I'm a fan.

No comments: