18 February 2011

PJ Harvey - 'Let England Shake'


I hear so much Kate Bush in this album.  I hear quite a bit of Bowie. Even perhaps a bit of Cyndi Lauper? But the one I was initially searching for, Ms. Polly Jean Harvey, I couldn't find.  Not the PJ Harvey that I've grown to know and love.  But she's in there.  Poured over this record, heart and soul, and saturated down to the marrow.
This is the follow-up to 'Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea' that I've been waiting for. 'Uh Huh Her' didn't really do much for me and 'White Chalk', even less.  I was a bit fearful that the avant-garde PJ that I'd loved had  moved on to a more safe and sedated place. This album, however, I've not been able to stay away from.  I'm very cautious of trying to not burn myself out on music that I enjoy so I'll stop listening to it even when I feel I'm not finished with it, that way letting it be a pleasant surprise when it comes up on my shuffle.  Every other day though I find myself queuing up this album in its entirety.

7.5/10


.

No comments: