17 May 2011

An Architect's Dream



Kate Bush, one of my all time favorite songwriter/performers, is releasing a new album of reworked songs from her two most critically successful albums: The Sensual World and The Red Shoes.  The track-list leaves me a bit underwhelmed (personally I would love to hear reworks from The Whole Story and The Kick Inside) but the fact that she's touching up songs that she wasn't entirely satisfied with on the original releases is totally justifiable.  I am very excited to hear the new versions of:

 


   &


 

One of my favorite and most relatable lines in any song is featured in the latter when she sings 'I don't want your bullshit.  I just want your sexuality'.  There are few song writers as well versed and passionate about her content.  I was assigned to read Wuthering Heights in high school and didn't make it past the first few chapters.  After, at around the age of 23, listening to Kate Bush's song adaptation I went back and reread the whole book.  It wasn't great.

I'll leave you with one of the best examples of her use of imagery and double-entendre.  Off of 2005's Aerial album, An Architect's Dream is one of the sexiest songs you will ever hear.  Ever.  And she does it without being overt.  Without ever saying what need not be said.  It's like sitting under a honeycomb.

No comments: