19 July 2011

Blindness (2008)


This movie is f*cked up. 
I honestly wish I hadn't watched it.  Not to say in any respect that the movie is bad.  Quite the contrary, it succeeds in what I believe are all the points it's trying to hit.  It's very well shot and masterfully acted by a great cast of characters, some of which underused.  I've become a great fan of the pairing of Julianna Moore and Mark Ruffalo.  The pacing is spot on.  At no point did I feel that the two hours were squandered.  Am I going to read the book after seeing this? Probably.  
My gripe is not with the film-making or the story-telling.  It's with the truth portrayed.  The depths of humanity that we can't bear to acknowledge but are so accurately showcased, unapologetic, in this movie that made my sick to my stomach and angry that I was made to watch it.  The glimpse inside myself to make me question which side of the coin on which I fall.    There are taboos that are not broken in modern media.  Scenarios in which we are have become accustomed to the Dues Ex Machina swooping in the save the day that we don't give it a second thought.  On the rare occasion that a director or story-teller does not turn away the lens and shows what is unjust and rotten; what actually happens in the real world, we become scandalized.  It's this unflinching camera that has earned my disdain.
I make it a point not to read reviews before I contribute my 2 cents and I'm shaking with anticipation to see what's been said about this film.  But regardless of what's been said, regardless of what I've said, I will defend this work.  As allegories go it's not the most original of the lot but it is well put and it will demand your attention.



7.5/10








3 comments:

oOSPANDEXOo said...

is this movie still in your possession?

David said...

Nope. I Had it for atleast 2 months. Just mailed it back.

oOSPANDEXOo said...

:( ...so now i have to like go rent it or something?