26 August 2011

Treme

If after I'm long gone someone decides to make a movie of my life I'd always hoped this song would be appropriate to play over the ending credits:




Speaking of TV on the television, I'm about halfway through the first season of Treme.



I enjoy it a great deal.  A lot of the nuances carry over from The Wire but I was a bit put off because I was waiting for an overt conflict.  Then I realized with Hurricane Katrina being the primary antagonist it opens up a lot of room for the writers to focus on individual characters and it frees up the time for all the 4 minute musical pieces which they've been taking full advantage of and I, for one, couldn't enjoy more.  I can only speculate on the authenticity of the show's portrayal of the struggle of those displaced by the disaster, (based on the opinions of critics of both this show and The Wire the writing staff is heralded for the painstaking research that they do) but the show has certainly made me fall in love with the city as it's principle character.  This being said with the fact that I'd seen it with my own eyes (pre-Katrina) in real life.
It doesn't have me on pins and needles like The Wire did with each episode.  This time around I'm more so just along for a leisurely ride.

No comments: