17 May 2012

The Bravest Man In the Universe

I'm gonna try to ease back into this blogging thing by writing about one of the few things I have an opinion about.  Music.
Probably THE most exciting musical event for me this year is next month's release of Bobby Womack's first album since 1994. Co-produced by Damon Albarn of Blur and Gorillaz, it's certain to be something all together extraordinary.  The single and small snippets that I've heard have not disappointed me in the least.  Here's a short doc that can be found on Bobby's official site about being brought back into the industry and the creation of the new record:





So much enthusiasm and such gushing words about Damon and Richard Russell.  It makes me happy to watch.  I've absolutely loved Bobby's contributions to the latest Gorillaz releases and this pairing continues that excitement.  I'll probably get this album for my dad on Father's Day.  It's that transcendent. I hope it's used as a vehicle to bring new fans to both artists bridging generations. Richard Russell did similar work on Gil-Scott Heron's final album, I'm New Here, which I also hold in high regard.  

I hope this trend continues.  Albarn has another project that I'm hoping to hear something from soon called Rocket Juice and the Moon which he features along with Flea and Legendary Afrobeat drummer Tony Allen, founding member of Fela Kuti's Africa 70.  Tony Allen has been busy over the past decade working with some of my favorite French artists like Sebastian Tellier, Air, and Charlotte Gainsbourg.  I could continue with this 6 degrees of separation all night.  Suffice it to say, something good is happening in music.  A revival of artists to be appreciated by a new generation.  It just goes to show that relevance doesn't go away.  It just ebbs and flows from the collective consciousness.  Something new comes along and if it, too, is good it will last and eventually will all be assimilated.  Nothing good dies.  It all takes new forms.  

Here's the first single off The Bravest Man In the Universe.  The album will be out on June 12th in the US.  


No comments: