06 March 2011

My turn to talk about The King Of Limbs


 After my first listen-through of the newest Radiohead release I'd said that it Sounds like a collection of B-sides and remixes of songs that should have been on the album. I still stand by that but not with as much ill-intent behind those words.  After a couple weeks with it I still can't imagine myself listening to it as a cohesive album ever again.  Honestly most of the tracks will collect dust in my iTunes library.  It proves to be a very boring and indifferent listen all together.  Only one song- 'Feral' -caught me on the initial listen and for all intents and purposes, it's an instrumental.  Atop that, I liked it better in 1984 when it was called 'Moments In Love'.* 
 Two other songs managed to grow on me. The first being the opening track 'Bloom' which I'll now go on record touting a brilliant track.  Back during the Kid A/Amnesiac sessions they had a tune on their chalk board of potential songs called 'Fela Kuti' and I can't help but think that this trippy afro-beat groove is what's become of it.  This one made it onto my workout mix and I have to stop myself from singing along with lest the strangers on the ellipticals next to me think I've gone mad.  
 The other song that's grown on me is the single 'Lotus Flower'.  Still not sensational but one of the few multifaceted songs on the album. Thom's falsetto always gets to me and this is a case in which it's the saving grace on what otherwise would be an unremarkable track.  

The rest of the tracks range from bland to mediocre which is most unexpected from a band once described as the most important in rock and roll.  But as I've said, I believe Radiohead will go down like the Stones.  Their discography is going to reach into the dozens and people will debate the merits of each for decades to come.  Nothing can be taken away from them and that's the one thing everyone will agree upon.  The King of Limbs just happens to be the first real valley in a history that now contains BOTH highs and lows. 


5.5/10


*if you're unfamiliar with Art of Noise deduct 6 points from your credibility score and Grooveshark them immediately. 

No comments: